Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales.
Great Britain is one of the most tightly populated countries in Europe. The Capital of Great Britain is London, which is situated in the southeast of England. It shouldn’t be confused with the United Kingdom, which is Great Britain AND Northern Ireland!
British people have a strong sense of humour which for foreigners can be hard to understand at times.
The nightlife in Great Britain can range from pubs, nightclubs, cafes and in the larger cities, the theatre & concerts are very popular. Pubs tend to be one of the important parts of British life. People tend to meet their friends to relax, either for a meal or just a cosy chat, the pub tends to be a popular place for British people.
Shopping is also big in Great Britain, with a wide range of department stores in most shopping centres. Three of the biggest shopping centres are the Metrocentre which is located in Gateshead; the Trafford Centre which is located in Greater Manchester & the Westfield Stratford City which is located in Stratford, London.
I am going to go more in depth later in my blog about each of the top ten cities in Great Britain. Here is the list of the top ten :-
1. London – Capital city of Great Britain and also among the most populated in Europe.
2. Edinburgh – The capital city of Scotland and also the second largest city in Scotland.
3. Cardiff – Capital and also the largest city in Wales. It is also the 10th largest city in Great Britain.
4. Cambridge – Located in the county of Cambridgeshire, it’s around 60 miles from London. It’s known for its beautiful museums and art galleries.
5. Bath – This is located in the south west of England, in the county of Somerset. It’s known for its theatres, museums and also other sporting venues.
6. York – Is the county town of North Yorkshire, England. The city is known for its historic attractions and sporting activities.
7. Manchester – Located in North West England. The city is known for its culture, music scene and sporting connections.
8. Liverpool – Situated in Merseyside, England. The city is known for many things but mostly for being the birthplace of the Beatles.
9. Glasgow – The largest city in Scotland and is located in the west central lowlands. Glasgow was traditionally known for its Tobacco industry.
10. Oxford – Located in Southern England in the county town of Oxfordshire. Oxford is known as the “city of dreaming spires”. A name which was given to it by the poet Matthew Arnold.